Town of Lynnfield
Lynnfield has an open town meeting form of government, headed by a three-member Board of Selectmen. Its residents enjoy the small town feeling while within a short commute of Boston’s cultural and employment opportunities.
Of particular pride to the community is the diversity of religious denominations and ethnic backgrounds within the town. The community also offers a wide range of organizations for all ages, including Rotary, the Lion’s Club, Art Guild, Townscape and the Historical Society and provides a wide spectrum of recreational facilities with ball fields, tennis and golf courses and parks.
Lynnfield’s school system is very highly regarded, residents note proudly, sending over eighty percent of its graduates to college.
Lynnfield has since become a modern, chiefly residential suburb of Boston.
For more information about the Town of Lynnfield, MA go to:
Narrative compiled by Wikipedia and the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development
Read the History of Lynnfield
Lynnfield is a small traditional New England residential community that was first settled in 1638 and was made a district in 1782. It was later officially incorporated in 1842. Historically, Lynnfield functioned as two separate villages connected by one governing body: in Lynnfield Center resided a mostly agricultural population, while South Lynnfield was a crossroad situated amongst neighboring larger towns.
The center of the town is graced by The Common, a small green bordered by historic structures including the Lynnfield Meeting House built in 1714 and the Lynnfield Public Library, which was built just before the Civil War.
During this time, the town had two inns, a quarry, a small carbonated beverage bottler, and various eating institutions. Route 1 (or “the Turnpike”) was built through South Lynnfield, which brought many people to the small town.