Wheelabrator Technologies is an industry leader in the safe and environmentally sound conversion of everyday residential and business waste – and other renewable waste fuels – into clean energy. Wheelabrator pioneered the waste-to-energy industry in the U.S. when it designed, built and operated the first commercially successful facility in 1975.
We believe in preserving our environment for future generations while providing for today’s needs. Wheelabrator is focused on meeting the waste disposal needs of our communities and customers while delivering clean, renewable power to local communities.
- Owned by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
- ~1060 employees
- 25 strategically located facilities in the US and UK
- 16 operating waste-to-energy facilities in the US and UK: 12 owned + 3 O&M + 1 JV
- 3 waste-to-energy facilities under construction in the UK
- 2 waste fuel facilities
- 4 ash monofills
- Represents total annual waste processing capacity of over 8 million tons with a combined electric generating capacity of 732 MW—enough energy to power more than 671,100 homes
Waste-to-energy facilities provide safe everyday waste disposal for towns and cities across the US and UK. These facilities deliver clean, renewable electric power to major utilities for distribution to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses. As valued corporate citizens and neighbors, Wheelabrator facilities contribute to the economic and civic vitality of their host communities.
Wheelabrator also operates a variety of waste fuel facilities designed to generate electricity using an assortment of waste fuels, including waste wood and waste coal. In addition to producing electricity, some of these facilities also produce steam sold to nearby government and commercial establishments. We also recover metals for recycling at two advanced metals recovery systems and one central upgrade facility.
Our environmental record
- Every day, we create enough energy to power 671,100 homes with clean, renewable energy
- We reduce carbon emissions by offsetting the need for energy from fossil fuel sources and reduce dependence on landfills
- We’ve developed environmental centers, nature trails and sanctuaries, certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council, in the communities where our customers live and work
- We’ve empowered thousands of middle school students to create innovative solutions to environmental issues and become active leaders in their communities
- In 2017, Wheelabrator’s energy plants:
- Recovered 160,517 tons of ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Transformed 7.4M tons of waste into 5.8B kwh of clean energy
- Since 1975, Wheelabrator’s energy plants have:
- Generated 125B kwh of clean energy from more than 238M tons of residential and business waste
- Recovered and recycled more than 3.8M tons of ferrous and non-ferrous metals that would otherwise go to landfills
Our performance highlights
- Performance Record —Wheelabrator has an over 44-year track record of providing reliable, WTE services to hundreds of customers
- Highest OSHA Safety Distinction —14 Wheelabrator facilities are OSHA VPP Star Worksite certified, a distinction earned by less than .03% of the seven million regulated workplaces in the US
- Maintains Permits in Good Standing —Wheelabrator has maintained all environmental permits in good standing under stringent federal and state regulatory standards at each of its facilities.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
583 Chestnut Street, Suite 8
Lynn, MA 01904
T: 781-592-2900 | F: 781-592-2903