By: Jenny Hudson (via Salem State University Enterprise Center)
Having a book about your specialized area can do a lot for your business. Some of our authors have used publishing a book in different ways: Some used their book to establish their expertise, reaping the rewards of booking speaking engagements leading to new clients. Others used it as a text and sell it at their workshops. I have seen the look in their eyes when they receive their first paperback copy. It’s a look of pride, confidence and excitement. They know how this book is about to change their lives. Here’s some bullet points about what a book might do for your business…
1. Gives you visibility
2. Builds immediate credibility and establishes you as the expert
3. Becomes an impressive business card to hand to clients
4. Can be your key to speaking engagements
5. A book can be life changing in ways you might not even imagine
What does it cost?
Time is money as you know. You can actually learn to produce yourself, but it is not easy and has a huge learning curve. You can learn to change your own oil and tune up your car too, but unless these are skills that you really want to learn, your time might be better spent developing your business.
What do I need to know to self-publish?
You will need to know:
- An overview of self-publishing so you will know what’s needed and how to prepare
- How to know when you’re ready to publish: A checklist for moving forward
- How to use the crowd-funding option to fund professional services for your book if you are so inclined
- The basics of book interior design: Guidelines, tools and tips
- What makes a good cover? Learn design and typography basics
- Learn how to get publicity, use social media, book readings, use PR, book reviews, and more
- How to an effective online presence with a WordPress website and blog: Learn the basics of successful blogging (building an audience and reaching readers)
- The differences between Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms and how to engage an audience through them.
- How to use the power of video: Tricks and tools
- How to sell your book
- How to develop your media kit
- How to do a blog tour
- How to approach book stores and reach alternative markets
- How to create marketing plan for your book.
What will I need to do to promote my book?
It helps have a large social media following, a ready population who hopefully will be interested in your book. If you’re not there yet, you can still do this, but of course, the process is slower, so it’s best to start this part of your plan ahead of time. Blog tours are useful to get reviews and to get noticed as are Goodreads giveaways and Amazon promotions. Your own blog and website can be useful in attracting readers as well. Speaking engagements and workshops are a great way to promote your book and you will need to research the proper venues.
Publishing is enormously rewarding. The list of what you need to know might be daunting, but by hiring a professional, you can concentrate on what you do best and not worry about it. Think about what holds you back. Perhaps it’s a fear of not producing a worthy book, but with professional guidance, you will have a book you can be proud of and will take your business to places you may never have imagined.